Saturday, September 25, 2010

Introduction

I wanted to start off with a discussion on what it's like to be cultured and poor. I walk among two worlds in which no one knows realizes that I also belong to the other world. My students think that surely a professor makes a lot of money. My colleagues bring in huge canisters of coffee for the kitchen while I bring in none and drink up anyway. On the other hand, the people at the food donation center today seemed to pity me because I am pregnant. Pregnant, Poor, Professor. That's me.

1 comment:

  1. B - I work as a newspaper reporter and, up until 2002 my husband worked in radio.

    There was a situation about 10 years ago when one of our friends was injured in an accident. A mutual friend did a donation effort to help with expenses. Very nice.

    When we didn't pitch in as much cash as expected, it became clear to us that the mutual friend thought we earned more money than we did.

    Finally, I took him aside and quietly told him what our household income was. He apologized and never assumed anything about our finances again.

    ReplyDelete