Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's more expensive to be poor

People write sometimes about how it's expensive to be poor and they ususally cite something about the high fees for cashing checks and buying money orders. People in poverty still need to do some of their own banking even when they no longer can afford to have a bank account. For them, what's the point of having a bank when they live their week based on how much cash they have? Why just put it in to take it out again?

Personally, I have thought about this as well, but I have too many bills to deal with the hassle of money orders.

Here is another reason why it's costly to be poor. I just found out that my type of government heatlh insurance is not being taken by my OB-GYN. My baby is coming in one month. There are now NO doctors who will take me because I am too far along. Trust me, I called, and they don't want to mess up their little schedules for me.

So now I am stuck at the only place which will take me... the office with the doctors who work at the hospital. This place is loud, dark and kinda dirty. I will have my baby in another hospital from the one I planned on. I will have to share a room there with someone else for 4 days. Originally I was going to have a room, dvd, couch and WHOLE SPACE all to myself. Not now.

Also, I cannot get in to see those new doctors yet. So my baby is missing his non-stress test this week. Hopefully its sorted by next week since this kid is a comin!

Such a situation has or will cost me stress, more time, and perhaps a bit of monitoring of the baby. This all happened because someone didn't check out my insurance well enough. When I started going to their office 3 years ago, it was all fine, but they tell me that something changed.

I'm not sure anything changed. It's still more costly to be poor. Don't even get me started on the costs of buying things in bulk so that you can save money on them in the long run. Or on coupons that make you buy 2 of the products in order to save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment